Composed - Alzubra

Yeah, I know what I'm doing. And I'm writing about it. Right. Write.

February 27, 2004

Shafted

The Daily Northwestern - Leaders urge expansion of Asian studies: "More than 30 leaders of cultural groups sent a letter to Weinberg Dean Daniel Linzer on Thursday that demanded immediate changes in Northwestern"s Asian-American studies program because they are disgruntled with the progress of the department."

As an Asian Studies major, I would like to point out to the Daily that we are not the same as Asian American Studies, and that it is insulting to Asian Americans to chop the "American" out of the name of the program. It contributes to the sense among Americans of Asian descent that they are perpetually foreigners in this country, despite having seen the country their ancestors came from about as often as most non-Native Americans do (i.e., rarely if ever).

Not to mention it kind of irks me to read a headline about possible expansion in my major (which includes the also oft-overlooked Middle Eastern Studies major) only to find out that it's just some copy editor's error. Assuming the Daily has copy editors, which I doubt at this point. If they do have them, they seem to introduce more errors than they fix, a cardinal sin of copy editing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home