Composed - Alzubra

Yeah, I know what I'm doing. And I'm writing about it. Right. Write.

April 26, 2004

Update on Gmail

Sheesh, had I only known how much traffic I'd generate by posting the info on Gmail accounts from Blogger . . . well, maybe I wouldn't have posted it since I have no idea why it only works for some people. But rest assured that I am not crazy and that it will work for at least some people right off the bat. But for everyone else - some suggestions, from a comment I just left on the entry itself:

Honestly, it's right on the Blogger home page. You may need to try logging in and out a few times or something, but a blue box with a blue, dashed border should show up right above the box with links to edit your blogs.

One way I've found to get around it not seeming to show up is for someone who does see the box to log into your Blogger account for you. For some reason, this prompts the box to appear on your log-in page, too.

Maybe it's a cookie problem that will resolve itself if you clear the Blogger cookie? I'm not sure. But I can't post a link to the Gmail sign-up page really since signing up involves Blogger transferring your account information (name, e-mail address) to Gmail.


If you know of other ways to make the box appear for people who don't see it, do leave a comment.

The only way I know works for sure is the second suggestion. Scott didn't see the box, either, and naturally thought I was nuts. But when I got him to give me his username and password (I was trying to figure out why his blog design had gone all funky recently) and I logged in as him on my computer, the Gmail box, sure enough, was right there on the page (that is the main Blogger page that shows up after you've logged in but before you've gone to edit a blog post). So I signed him up for an account myself, not sure if he'd be able to see the box himself when he logged in again. But wouldn't you know it, when he next logged in it was there, so I probably didn't need to do him Gmail registration.

I hope that helps. Hopefully everyone knows at least someone for whom the box appears. I doubt anyone wants to trust a random stranger with your Blogger username and password . . . but then I could be wrong.

However, I'm hoping that since the news has hit Slashdot that every person who's an active user (i.e., had an account before the beta test started) is seeing the box now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home