Composed - Alzubra

Yeah, I know what I'm doing. And I'm writing about it. Right. Write.

June 08, 2004

Harry Potter Part Three

I thought I should chime in and say I liked "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," which I saw Saturday, breaking my two-movie string of seeing Harry movies the night they arrive. I was actually quite impressed with how the much-ballyhooed director moved the series forward out of childhood. I always thought before that the fourth book was more the beginning of the kids' adolescence, but seeing those actors on screen and how big they are makes me think perhaps they really aren't kids anymore.

I doubt many people reading besides me, who spent so many years in Catholic school, will have noticed especially the change in the uniforms. Especially notice how Hermione's oxford shirt is artfully bloused out and not quite tucked in at the back. They really nailed the teen uniform look there. Same goes for everyone else's messy-on-purpose look, the uniform of the teenage uniformed set. Much as administrators like the theory, uniforms don't in fact destroy the fashion pecking order. Boxer shorts, Villa alums?

And the scene of the Gryffindor boys sitting around eating magical candy? That reminded me powerfully of my brothers.

It definitely doesn't feel overwrought and flat like the first two did sometimes, especially after multiple viewings. They could feel on occasion like nothing more than magnificent set pieces. Strangely enough, this one made me think -- it demanded my attention, even as someone who's read the books and knows what will happen. This film is an interpretation of the book rather than the book brought to life like the last two, so it's a new experience.

My only problem with the movie is I thought the pacing was too quick. Scene changes seemed a bit too abrupt, but I suppose considering how much there was to cover, some niceties had to be sacrificed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home