Composed - Alzubra

Yeah, I know what I'm doing. And I'm writing about it. Right. Write.

July 04, 2004

More Glad I Don't Use Windows Anymore Every Day

Microsoft's patchwork mess | Perspectives | CNET News.com: "So, in exasperation, I entered 'Download.Ject' into the keywords search field. Presumably, when I hit go, this will take me to the download I'm looking for. But still nothing.

Microsoft had no comment at the time this story was published about why the statement refers to a download that can't be found. But it did offer a link that leads directly to the download. Unfortunately, following this link reveals yet another problem.

Instead of mentioning Download.Ject or 'keystroke logging' (some keywords that users will want to see in order to know that they've reached the right place), the heading on the page appeals to software developers instead. It says 'Critical Update for Microsoft Data Access Components - Disable ADODB.Stream object from Internet Explorer (KB870669).' The more recognizable keywords aren't mentioned in the description of the update either."

I don't use the OS anymore, but most of my relatives do, and they expect me to fix their broken Windows a lot. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that sort of crap -- viruses, keystroke loggers, adware, etc. -- on a daily basis. And the attacks seem to have become progressively worse and more difficult to head off lately, which makes me feel rather nervous about using any Windows computer to access the Internet.

And I know most Windows users don't realize the dangers or understand why they have so many pop-ups all the time. Especially at my internship, I've seen how clueless most people are about computers still. If I were in charge of information technology at a company, there's no way I'd let the employees loose in Internet Explorer. It'd just be asking for headaches.

I mean, how much productivity could you reclaim by forcing employees to give up IE? A lot of computer down time at work was from the masses of spyware and Trojan horses that had to be removed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home