Composed - Alzubra

Yeah, I know what I'm doing. And I'm writing about it. Right. Write.

January 28, 2004

The Return of the Squirrel Chronicles!

Alas, after moving out of my PARC fourth-floor penthouse, my observation of Northwestern's squirrel population declined due to lack of a good vantage point. But today I came across some most interesting squirrel behavior while walking near the Rock.

A chattering sound filled my ears as I approached the end of the sidewalk, and looking around, I saw one of Northwestern's many squirrels sitting atop a nearby trash can. Not an abnormal site, to be sure, but this squirrel was clearly angry.

I stopped for a closer look. Peering around to the other side of the trash can, I observed that the squirrel was nibbling something white - a Styrofoam takeout container, in face. He took a petite bite, chewed angrily then spit it on the ground by the trash can, where it blended in with all the snow.

And he did it again. And again. And he clearly did not anticipate that each new bite would be as inedible as the last, no matter how much it smelled like stir-fry.

Of course, the squirrels are mysterious creatures. He may have been taking out his inner squirrel aggressions by chewing on the Styrofoam box. In fact, it may have been a squirrel statement condemning our continued use of non-biodegradable materials in our doggie-bag industry. We will never know for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home